C&E: Recapping Day Two of Convention
Day two of the 2013 Convention & Expo started off with breakfast in the Exhibit Hall. While here, credit union professionals had a chance to recap sessions from the day before and share information with their peers.
Introduced by Don Cohenour, president/CEO of the Missouri Credit Union Association (MCUA), Bill Hampel, economist for the Credit Union National Association (CUNA), led the day in sessions. He updated the room of attendees on the economy.
“The good news is that we’ve survived the Great Recession,” says Hampel. “The bad news is that we had to name it the Great Recession.”
Hampel stated that this was the worst recession since the Great Depression, but not nearly as severe. However, there was tremendous regional variation—Missouri fared better than many other states.
He shared that a growth recovery began in mid-2009 and forecasts growth of 3-3.5 percent for 2013-14.
Following a short break, Mark Arnold spoke with credit union leaders about the member of the future. Arnold is an acclaimed speaker, brand expert and strategic planner who regularly works with credit unions. Starting out, he focused on the importance of mobile banking and pointed out that Gen Y (and many of the audience members) did not even have a landline.
He went on to say that credit unions shouldn’t lose focus on what is really important—the members. The front staff of credit unions should offer the best service possible.
“We are in business for people—if you focus on people the profits will follow,” says Arnold.
He also shared that investing time in developing videos is important to the younger population. The number one search engine for people under 30 is YouTube. They consume information via video. You have 5-6 seconds to capture their attention when they’re visiting your website.
Day two had two sets of breakout sessions. The first set included topics:
- Advocacy Training 101 with Amy McLard, MCUA senior vice president of Advocacy
- Top 10 Marketing Trends Every Credit Union Should Know with Mark Arnold
- Make the Most of Every Lending Opportunity with Karim Habib, director of Marketing for CUNA Mutual Group
- Bank On MOre Presentation with Halley Hayden, MCUA vice president of Communications
The second set of breakout sessions included:
- Debit/Credit Card Breach – Now What? with Ann Davidson, CUNA Mutual
- Political & Regulatory Hot Topics with Amy McLard
- Building a Lasting Branch with Mark Arnold
- Interest Rate Risk, Regulatory Issues and Investment Sectors with Jeffrey F. Caughron, associate partner for the Baker Group
The day ended with an exhibitors’ reception.
Pictured are (top) Bill Hampel and (bottom) Mark Arnold speaking to MCUA Convention & Expo attendees.